Saturday, August 18, 2012

From Erin:

August 18th
So much has happened in the very short time that The Opening Knight Players have been here in lovely Edinburgh, Scotland! Last night, we attended the Royal Military Tattoo, which was as spectacular for the marching band kids as the non marching band kids. My personal favourite was the salute to the new (or….newer at this point, I guess) Pixar film, Brave. Perhaps the most incredible part of the show, though, was how fast paced everything…probably because of their incredible stage crew! (Talk about stage ninjas!)
Today was a later start of 8:55, when we went to a two hour long workshop with the musical improv group, Baby Wants Candy. What a workshop! For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, Baby Wants Candy is a musical improv group from America that improvises a new musical every night with a topic from the audience. Two members, Al and Mike, came to visit us here at Pollock Halls, where they led a workshop for us so that we could learn their process. I don’t think I saw a single person without a smile on their face the entire time we were in the room. From the funny warmups, to improvised songs about a human falling in love with a penguin, to an opening number about Pluto, The Exiled Planet (it could very well become a show someday…we’ll never know), Baby Wants Candy was an experience I know none of us will forget any time soon. (Not to mention that essentially the entire workshop was recorded between all of us.)
After Baby Wants Candy, we took a break before heading to see the show that we truly can’t seem to escape…you guessed it! Almost, Maine! Amity High School (the other CT school) did a really great job, and it was cool for all of us to see the differences between our production and theirs.
Now, while I had the chance, I thought I would drop a short line that has turned into almost a full page on Microsoft, so I swear, I’m nearly done. For the next short while, we’ll be getting ready for opening night! All the wigs are secured on their balloon wig heads, some fight scenes are being tightened, some people are doing laundry, and I’m listening to my iPod and writing you lovely folks back home. After the show tonight, we are off to meet Anthony Rapp, of Rent and see his show. Then, we’ll get ready for another exciting day!
I think that I’ve gotten everything out that I wanted to…if not, I’m sure I’ll be able to write again. Cheers!
Love, Erin

1 comment: